Project Management Institute (PMI) – a not-for-profit professional organization – is among the most recognized certification bodies out there for aspiring project managers. Project management professionals will find a myriad of certification programs available under PMI.
Compared to other project management certification programs, PMI offers the most comprehensive career-advancement certification programs, as well as a wide range of services for project management, from development of standards to advanced maintenance of multiple credentials.
Currently there are over 7 project management certifications available through PMI, including the most popular, PMP certification. A description of each is listed below.
About Project Management Institute (PMI)
Project Management Institute (PMI) is a non-profit association established in 1969 in the United States. Originally focused on assisting members with career advancement, PMI created certification programs to add recognition to the complex project management field. With the successful launch of the Project Management Professional (PMP) certification program in 1984, PMI has been one of the most notable certification programs ever created for project managers.
In 2007, becoming a certified PMI professional was made more accessible – especially to professionals worldwide. With the release of ANSI/ISO/IEC 17024 accreditation program, professionals who are looking to get certified are not required to become a member of PMI. Today, PMI has become a part of various business industries worldwide and the organization offers more credentials and certification programs for individuals who are looking for a good career platform to start on.
PMI Certifications and Credentials Offered
Project practitioners and professionals may choose from seven comprehensive certification programs being offered by PMI. Each certification and credentials program is designed to provide professionals all the information, practices and standards they need to excel in their field. Listed below are the certification programs offered by PMI:
• Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)
– Entry-Level Certification Program for professionals with little to no experience in the Project Management field. The program provides basic information in becoming effective and efficient in project management.
• Project Management Professional (PMP)
– A globally-recognized certification program for project management professionals. This program provides all the needed education, experience and competency to allow a professional to lead their own projects.
• Program Management Professional (PgMP)
– A certification program designed for PMP-accredited professionals worldwide. This program offers advanced knowledgebase for professionals looking to lead multiple projects and programs.
• Portfolio Management Professional (PfMP)
– A certification program designed for portfolio management professionals and practitioners. The program offers advance knowledge in management processes, as well as coordinated management in various organizational platforms.
• PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)
– A certification program designed for Agile-accredited professionals. The certification program offers the best of both worlds in terms of project management and Agile principles and practices.
• PMI Risk Management Professional (PMI-RMP)
– A credentials program to assist the project management field in terms of its diversity, complexity, as well as the project’s overall growth. The program offers extensive knowledgebase when it comes to mitigating threats, project risks and other known hazards in the industry.
• PMI Scheduling Professional (PMI-SP)
– A credential program that is specifically designed to handle certain project management scheduling tasks. The program offers a comprehensive knowledge base regarding project scheduling, as well as basic information about project management.